JessHaines

Jess Haines

I'm an author, a dreamer, a paperback reader...

Hunter's Moon (Tales of the Sazi, Book 1)
'C. T. Adams', 'Cathy Clamp'
Wicked as They Come - Delilah S. Dawson This book was excellent. I read it on my way to the Old City, New Blood convention and couldn’t put it down. I loved it so much that I gave the copy I bought for the trip to my mom, and bought another one just so I could have Delilah sign it while I was at the con.

Most of you know I’m not usually much of a fan of paranormal romance–I prefer my fantasy to be about saving the group/city/world vs. the relationship–but this book was fun, imaginative, and I loved that the heroine didn’t buy into the “fated lovers” spiel in the least. She explored her options, and showed real backbone and fire, plus a sense of humor that was right up my alley.

While Criminy Stain, the wicked Bludman ringmaster and Tish’s love interest, perhaps could have been more menacing in his role, I did well and sincerely believe that he was desperately in love with Tish. Even when she gave him every reason not to. Her reaction when she is transported from the “real” world to Sang, a place of violence and blood/blud, was humorous and believable at once. The sexual tension builds at a realistic pace, and by the time Tish and Criminy do end up together, you have no question in your mind that the two of them were meant for each other. Her initial reluctance and approach to the relationship was a refreshing take on the “fated mate” trope that I’ve seen far too much of, and it was fascinating to see how she came to terms with her attraction to Criminy.

I don’t want to get into the meat of the story in the review because I believe that this is a novel best explored for oneself. It’s passionate and whimsical, at times sexy and intense, and delightfully weird. Strong world-building, vivid, engaging characters, and a clever story make this a must-read for fans of steampunk, paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. I’m already chomping at the bit for the next book in the series, WICKED AS SHE WANTS, coming April 30th, 2013.

5/5

Originally posted: http://jesshaines.com/blog/2013/03/13/book-review-wicked-as-they-come-by-delilah-s-dawson/