JessHaines

Jess Haines

I'm an author, a dreamer, a paperback reader...

Hunter's Moon (Tales of the Sazi, Book 1)
'C. T. Adams', 'Cathy Clamp'
Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen, #1) - Sierra Dean Once I managed to turn off a very cynical part of myself, this book was just plain fun. I'll admit to rolling my eyes at the heroine's name and herritage at first. My "oh, geez, a half-vampire, half-werewolf? Really?" knee-jerk reaction almost made me put the book down, but because Sierra has always been such a delight to talk to on Twitter, I pressed on--and I'm glad I did. The story and humor were great, even though I do feel the heroine came across as too Mary Sue-ish at the start, and occasionally throughout the rest of the book. I didn't quite buy the soulmate/insta-lust stuff with the werewolves either, but I rarely do in any story, so that's just a personal preference.

After a few chapters, the story hit its stride and the conflict between Secret's dual natures became very interesting indeed. The ending surprised me, and despite how my reaction in the last paragraph might sound, I'm actually looking forward to picking up the next book to see where things go.

Rating: 3.5/5