JessHaines

Jess Haines

I'm an author, a dreamer, a paperback reader...

Hunter's Moon (Tales of the Sazi, Book 1)
'C. T. Adams', 'Cathy Clamp'
Tempest Rising - Nicole Peeler I got my copy of this book from Authors After Dark. I’ve seen Nicole’s work mentioned here and there, but I’m surprised I haven’t heard more—her work is hilarious!

Jane True is one of the most excellent urban fantasy heroines I’ve stumbled across in quite some time. Everyone in town thinks she’s nuts, and she had a stint in the loony bin to prove it. She has no idea where her mother is, and stays in town because it’s the life she knows, and she’s afraid of abandoning her father. Because of her heritage—though she doesn’t know why—she often takes a dip in the cold New England ocean to clear her head and “recharge her batteries”.

One night, while she’s out swimming, she stumbles across a murder victim in the water. Unable to leave the body there, she drags it out and leaves it on a path where someone is sure to find it the next day. This opens up the door to a whole new world of supernatural mystery for Jane, one which, once opened, can’t be closed again. She also learns that her mother was a full-blown seal shapeshifter, which explains why Jane is so drawn to the ocean—and where her mother eventually disappeared to.

She finds out that some of her friends and neighbors are also two-natured, and meets a sexy vampire investigator who is trying to get to the bottom of a string of murders related to the body she found. Ryu might not be exactly as she pictured a vampire (and I still can’t get over that his laugh is described at one point like a Pomeranian’s bark), but these two are hot-hot-hot together, and make a delicious pair.

This is a delightful story. Fun, light-hearted, and with a very creative spin on the usual mythos for several supernatural creatures, the characters are all beautifully written and the humor hit just the right spot for me. There are a lot of pop culture references in this, but that mostly added to the funny for me, rather than detracted. I’m thrilled that I finally got to read this book, and can’t wait to delve into the next one in the series!