JessHaines

Jess Haines

I'm an author, a dreamer, a paperback reader...

Hunter's Moon (Tales of the Sazi, Book 1)
'C. T. Adams', 'Cathy Clamp'
Happy Hour at Casa Dracula - Marta Acosta Oh, Marta, where have you been all my life?!

This book was fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. I have been following Marta Acosta’s blog for quite a while, but for some reason kept putting off buying her books. Let me be the first to say, “Bad Jess! BAD! No cookies for you!”

Well, I have seen the error of my ways. HAPPY HOUR AT CASA DRACULA was light, funny, and fabulous. Marta has given a fresh take on the vampire trope (but don’t call them vampires, they hate that) which had me at turns giggling and gasping over the plotting, the bitchery, and the fantabulosity that have her characters leaping off the page.

Our heroine, Milagro De Los Santos, isn’t having a good time. The story opens with this wonderful woman with a degree from a Fancy University and a crappy job history at a launch party for her ex’s new book. Considering she desperately wants her own novel to be published, what’s the harm in going to a party where there are sure to be editors and agents in attendance? As long as she steers clear of Sebastian Beckett-Witherspoon, everything should be fine. Right? …Right?

Yeah. Train wreck ahoy.

At the party she exchanges barbed remarks with said ex. Soon thereafter, she meets the deliciously mysterious Oswald, and then leaves the party to go to his hotel room to discuss literature.

Ahem.

Said discussion results in a rather violent lip-lock, which causes a bit of blood to be exchanged between the two. Then Sebastian shows up (*cough* COCKBLOCK *cough*) and Milagro decides it is in her best interests to GTFO. She runs home and, over the next few days, becomes terribly ill. She can’t keep food down. Once she finally gets some energy back, the first thing she does is runs to the grocery store, where nothing but the blood in the packages of ground beef looks appetizing. You can imagine how traumatizing this is for her.

I won’t go into much detail over what happens next, but she does cross paths with Oswald again, and soon finds herself seeking shelter from some wacked out psychos on his family’s estate. That’s when she learns about her new “condition” and why her diet needs to drastically change, as well as some of the new enemies she’s acquired by becoming one of denizens of Casa Dracula.

This story was just hilarious and fun and exactly what I needed at the time I read it. Fans of Mary Janice Davidson’s Queen Betsy series should adore this story. I, for one, am very much looking forward to delving into the rest of Milagro’s adventures. Kudos to Ms. Acosta for writing such a riotous and entertaining story!