JessHaines

Jess Haines

I'm an author, a dreamer, a paperback reader...

Hunter's Moon (Tales of the Sazi, Book 1)
'C. T. Adams', 'Cathy Clamp'
Blood Song - Cat Adams An intriguing new urban fantasy, BLOOD SONG is about Celia Graves, a security-guard-for-hire who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bitten by a vampire, she undergoes a partial transformation. Hovering somewhere between human and vampire, she gets sucked into a plot that involves vampires, demons, and even a little royalty. She needs to find out who set her up--before she becomes fully transformed, or ends up six feet under.

Cat Adams' style is clear and easy to read in the first person, though some of the assumptions that you would know what was being discussed (not so much the terminology as the systems for things like magic and supernatural creatures) were a little hard for me to get into at first. A lot is going on in those first few chapters, and answers to any questions you may have about meaning or world-building are peppered throughout the story. Some major plot points about Celia's background were neatly wrapped up at the end, but there were a couple of things about her past that were never answered. Judging by the ending, I'm assuming that you'll learn more about her checkered past in the next book.

This was a bit different from the work I've seen in the past from the dual authors who make up the Cat Adams team (C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp). I haven't read all of their previous books, but some of what I saw of Celia reminded me of a softer, gentler version of their hit-man with a heart in HUNTER'S MOON. The vampires in BLOOD SONG were nothing like the ones in TOUCH OF EVIL, save for that they were clearly evil, unholy creatures. Some of the details of how things work for the supernaturals in this book weren't completely clear, and I'm looking forward to exploring more about it in the next book.

Overall, this is a solid addition to the urban fantasy genre. Though there are a couple of one-liners, you'll find this story is more like Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series than Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Fans of books like Kelly Meding's Dreg City series, Patricia Briggs' Alpha & Omega series, and Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series should enjoy this book.